Sunday, June 21, 2009

Hope you have a big trunk cuz I'm puttin my bike in it

The general consensus about last night was that something crazy happened to pretty much everyone on the trip. The night began with pre-pregamming with a small group of friends, and then pregamming with a much larger group of people. By the time we made it to the pub it was almost 11 pm and we were four or five drinks in. We started at the Quays, hoping to hear a musician we were talking to the night before, but he wasn't there and we quickly realized that the room of age 40+ Irish guys was not our scene. We went back to old faithful, The King's Head. We knew it was going to be a crazy night, when a minute within our arrival my friend Dianna got hoisted into the air by some dunk Irish guy.

Shortly after, Dianna immediately spotted gym treat Alan (who we learned was on the Olympic rowing team for Ireland). After ordering our drinks we tried to muster up enough courage to say hi to him, but then saw an even more familiar face, Robbie, our personal trainer at the gym. He was very happy to see us, and explained that he was celebrating with his friends, because he was leaving for America to spend two months with his girlfriend. We met some of his friends, and continued hanging out with them for the remainder of the evening. This included singing and dancing at the pub, and then carrying out intoxicated triner to the club while sharing a cigarettee (I hope you see the irony in that image). By then Dianna and I had split up. She was with Robbie and I was with his friend Ruairi (pronounced Rory). Ruairi also worked at the gym, and was leaving for a three week trip to Canada in a few days. We talked about movies, culture differences (for example dancing in Ireland is very different from dancing in the States, they do not consider grinding a real form of dancing). Things got a little sketchy when he refused to tell me his age or what he did at the gym, but besides thatCheck Spelling he seemed like a pretty genuine guy, and a hippie at heart, which worked well with the Bohemian outfit I was rockin'.

Once the club closed he said he needed to get his bike before we could go back to meet Dianna and Robbie at our apartment. What I did not realize was that his bike was parked five blocks in the opposite direction of my building. We walked to his bike, and gentleman that he was, asked me to ride on the crossbar to my apartment. I hopped on and continued to scream while holding on to the handlebar for dear life, as we sped down the streets of Galway (apparently he's a cyclist). Once back, we all went to hang out and make munchies in my room.

Once we settled in, a parade of people came barging into the apartment carrying one of my roommates who had "broken her ankle". They shared with us some of the other shenanigans taking place in the building. Apparently me and Dianna were not the only people hosting guests, one of the boys met a Polish girl named Blueberry (cough cough prostitute). Another covered himself in toilet paper and passed out in the hallway. And another guy on our trip had made out with a 50 year old woman at a pub. Compared to our peers, our actions were tame. Dianna and I continued to entertain our guests while the others tended to my roommate. Later that night, we discovered that Robbie lived 45 minutes away, and was in no condition to make it hope. Meanwhile Ruairi was insinuating about spending the night with me. In the end they boys sobered up and went on their ways.

Rauiri texted me later that night saying it was nice to meet me, and the next morning I received a series of texts beginning with one checking to see if my roommates ankle was ok. I told him she was fine and he responded with "oh.right.cool so did you sleep ok by YOURSELF last night? ;)" I told him that surprisingly I slept just fine by myself and he proposed that next time I should stay at his place. I called him out about assuming there would be a next time. Oh Irish guys, they are so charming yet so forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment