Sunday, July 19, 2009

My moment of weakness

How often do you think about how your actions effect others? How the ripples of our choices reach the ones around us? I made a decision on Friday night, granted it was influenced by alcohol, but it was still a decision. That decision, which happened to involve another member of my program, made its way around the building by the following morning. Varying versions of the stories existed; stemming from the participants and witnesses throughout the evening. It was thoroughly entertaining to hear from other people what I supposedly did the night before. But the details of the situation are not important, you can fill them in for yourself.

What is important was what happened Saturday night. I am going home on Thursday, so of course the weekend had to be a slop fest. On Saturday night Dianna, Kristi, Kendall and I had a wine a cheese party to pregame. After the party we went down to one of the guys rooms. He of course had heard about what happened between me and one of his best friend, and for some reason or another did not approve. The next thing I know, he is screaming at me, accusing me of knocking over a garbage can. "Get out of my apartment," he said, which I objected to because I was being rudely and falsely accused. He did not take that well, and grabbed me by the arms and threw me out of his apartment. I had never been treated so forcefully by someone I barely know. After, I could still feel his hands digging into my arms. Needless to say; my last Saturday in Galway was ruined.

Looking back, of course I would have rather not let some asshole get to me, but try controlling your emotions after seven drinks. And I didn't think it was fair to curse everyone else with my bad mood. Still wearing my favorite low cut dress and earrings, I cried myself to sleep. However, I don't see how the situation could have been avoided. Should I be living my life according to how it effects others? Of course you think about the people you are directly effecting, but then there are the people those people effect, and so the ripples continue. Is that even possible to take so many lives into consideration before making every decision?

No comments:

Post a Comment